Situated in central Lisbon, the decorative arts collection gathered by Antonio de Medeiros e Almeida (895-1986) is displayed in his former residence, which was turned into a museum in 1972.
The collection, presented in 27 galleries, com prises Portuguese and foreign pieces belonging to a variety of art forms ncluding furniture, painting, sculpture, tex es and sacred art dating from the 2nd century BC to the 20th century CE. Four collections watches and clocks, Chinese porcelain, silver work and fans are highlighted in specific galleries.
Antonio de Medeiros e Almeida was a figure of prominence in Portuguese business, with major interests n the motor trade (importation of English cars, commercial aviation, and the Azorean sugar industry. The success of his business activities provided the means allowing him simultaneously to pursue the collection of works of art. In 1924 he married Margarida Pinto Antonio de Medeiros e Almeida Herique Medina, 1974 Basto (1898-1971), and in 1943 they bought a Parisian-style mansion built in 1896 in a residential area of central Lisbon. After remodelling works, they settled in in 1946 The flourishing of his business ventures following World War gave him access to the international art market, allowing him to frequent the fore most European auction houses and antique dealers and to gain a reputa tion as a grand collector. At the beginning of the sixties the couple began to Tureen pair) make plans to ensure that their collection would be Paul Storr, 1813 preserved intact. In 1968 the architect Alberto Cruz was commissioned to build a new wing over the garden to house part of the collection, and in 1970 the couple moves to a neighbouring house to transform the whole premises into a museum.